2. 1578 Martin Frobisher sails from Harwich, England, to Frobisher Bay, Canada, eventually to mine fools gold, used to pave streets in London.
3. 1910 Union of South Africa declares its independence from the United Kingdom
4. 1916 Battle of Jutland (Skagerrak): naval battle between British Grand Fleet and German. High Seas Fleet: over 8,500 die in this inconclusive slaughter – although the German fleet never put to sea again.
5. 1935 7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Quetta in Balochistan, British Raj (Pakistan) killing. approx 50,000
6. 1947 Communists seize power in Hungary
7. 2008 Usain Bolt breaks the world record in the 100m sprint, with a wind-legal (+1.7m/s) 9.72 seconds.